What is the Domain?
In a simple Language, when your planning to have your own website, you must first think about how you will name it.
Before you do anything else, you should come up with the best domain name that is suited to your personal or business profile.
Naming a website is like naming a newborn child.
What is the Domain name? Types of Domain?
A domain is part of the network address, like website address, E-mail Address, and other internet protocol address.
It is a unique name that appears on your URLs that determine the name of an address of a website. A domain name can be any combination of letters and numbers, and it can be used in combination of the various domain name extensions, such as .com, .net and more.
Different types of domain names.
There are three Different Types of the domain, such as TLD, SLD, TLD.
1. Top-Level Domains (TLD)
Top-level domain (TLD) refers to the last segment of a domain name or the part that follows immediately after the “dot” symbol.
The following types of TLDs:
- Generic Top-Level Domains (gTLD): – These are the most popular types of TDLs. Some examples include “.edu” for educational sites and “.com” for commercial sites. These types of TLDs are available for registration.
- Country-Code Top-Level Domains (ccTLD): Every ccTLD recognizes a specific country and is generally two letters long. For example, the
ccTLDfor India is “ .in” a and Australia is “ .au”.
- Sponsored Top-Level Domains (
sTLD): These TLDs are supervised by private organizations.
- Infrastructure Top-Level Domains: There is only one TLD in this category, which is “.arpa”. The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority controls this TLD for the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
Some of the TLDs and their explanations are as follows:
- .com – Commercial businesses
- .org – Organizations (generally charitable)
- .net – Network organizations
- .gov – U.S. government agencies
- .mil – Military
- .edu – Educational facilities like universities
- .in – India
- .us – United State
- .th – Thailand
- .ca – Canada
- .au – Australia
2. Second level domain
Second level domains are taken before the top-level domains. A second-level domain is a name just to the left of the domain extension, that is .com or
For example- www.technotaught.com
3. Third-level domain
A third-level domain is the next highest level following the second-level domain. It is found directly to the left of the second-level domain. The third-level domain is often called a “subdomain” and includes a third domain section to the URL.
For example, in www.google.com, “www” is the third-level domain. The default or the most commonly used third-level domain is “www”.