This article will explain “SSL & HTTPS – The Guards to Your WordPress Site”.
The world has been blessed with utter ease and excellence with the evolution of the digital revolution. Everything from entertainment to education and all others have taken up an online platform. Such a significant presence comes with substantial challenges. One such challenge is security.
Your website or app is vulnerable to all the threats out there. You need to take the command of its security in your hands!
One platform that is a prevalent one and calls for complete security is WordPress. WordPress powers 35% of the internet as of now. Such a significant number demands safety.
But how can security for your WordPress site be achieved?
Many people hire a WordPress coder to deal with security concerns. That’s also one of the ways of dealing. Other than that, there are a few essential considerations that can secure your WordPress site if taken care of properly. These are robust security standards along with Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS).
Setting up a WordPress SSL certificate and implementing HTTPS on the platform would not let any potential threat harm your website.
Let’s get a deeper understanding of why you should make an effort to protect your WordPress site.
Suggested: – How to change domain name on WordPress
Why is there a need to secure your WordPress site?
You could have worked the way you were working. Why is securing your WordPress site necessary?
Well, around 10,000+ websites get blacklisted for malware every day and about 50,000 for phishing every week. The next could be your site any day or at any moment.
Once your site is hacked, it would take no time to damage your business revenue and brand. All your information would be lost to some malicious software. There could be a ransom as well to get back what you had.
Don’t worry if you don’t get its grip because you can hire a WordPress coder to secure your site. Protecting your WordPress site in such a scenario would eliminate the risk and reduce it to a great extent. It is, therefore, essential to pay attention to security concerns, and SSL and HTTPS is quite an easy and effective way to do it.
Let’s understand what SSL, along with HTTPS, really is!
What is SSL & HTTPS?
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) establishes a secure connection between a website and a browser. The sites with an SSL have ‘certificates’ that ensure the safety of your personal information during each transfer. The green lock symbol at the beginning of the URL is a sign of SSL certification implemented by a particular website.
For instance, if you’re buying an electronic appliance online, check for the SSL certificate and do it through a website that has it. Else, the attackers may try to steal your information.
Setting up a WordPress SSL certificate is very simple. There are various SSL certificates available, the free ones, and the fancy ones. You can take any as per the size of your business or website.
Once you are done with setting up an SSL certificate for your WordPress site, you would need to configure it. It would then transmit data using HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure).
HTTPS is like HTTP, which is used to initiate secure communication over a network. However, HTTPS offers advanced security standards.
Your data is absolutely secure during transfer if a site uses HTTPS.
The website just needs an SSL certificate for HTTPS to work, which means that both work hand-in-hand.
For WordPress, too, you first need to set up the SSL certificate to work with your site and then tell WordPress to load by HTTPS.
How to use SSL & HTTPS on your WordPress site?
You can either do the protecting yourself or with the help of a WordPress programmer. There is a WordPress programmer for hire waiting somewhere to serve you. Just find your right partner!
And until you find one, below is a method that is easy and suitable for beginners.
Let’s take a look at the steps to use SSL & HTTPS on your WordPress site.
- Log into your WordPress account
- Go to the dashboard and click Plugins in the menu
- Click Add New present on the top of your screen
- Type the SSL in the search panel to get the free, suitable plugin
- Click to install the SSL plugin
- Now, click Go ahead to activate SSL for your domain
- Your WordPress site would then be ready to serve through HTTPS
- Open your WordPress site in the browser to check for the protocol
- And you are all guarded now!
Benefits of SSL & HTTPS
- SSL certificate with proper implementation would ensure authentication. You would be able to send the information to the server or transfer the data without any act of breach.
- SSL also maintains a trusted relationship between both the parties, the business owner and the user in the form of a green lock.
- Installing SSL on your WordPress site would allow you to use HTTPS to secure the communication between the two systems.
- For instance, think of logging in with username and password. It’s sensitive information that needs to be secured so that hackers won’t breach the security norms to steal the data or just misuse it.
- HTTPS, in this situation, encrypt the information and secure the communication through the servers. HTTPS also offers data integrity, complete security along with the site’s privacy. It also gives the SERPs ranking a boost.
Also View: – How to upload project to Github on windows
There is so much sensitive information on the internet that every website needs the SSL certificates and HTTPS to keep itself away from any harm by the hackers. No matter which industry you belong to, security should be your priority.
Search engines as well are encouraging to use them!
You need to get the best solution for the security of your WordPress site. There is always that one WordPress programmer for hire available for your business who would be immensely pleased to help and protect your site with SSL and HTTPS against hackers’ ill intentions. You just have to reach out to that person.
And then installing an SSL plugin yourself too is a good and easy option.
Now that you have seen that securing your WordPress site is not that difficult, hurry and get it done!